Pear & Banana Chocolate Crumble
• 1.5 kg pears, cored and quartered
• 5 ripe bananas, sliced
• 2 tsp palm oil
• 50 g margarine
• 80 g caster sugar
• 100 g margarine
• 100 g plain flour
• 60 g brown sugar
• 6 tbsp whole oats
• 2 tbsp milk
• 80 g cashew nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
• 100 g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
1 . Preheat oven to 170°.
2. Heat palm oil in a fry pan. Melt margarine in it over moderate heat. Add sugar and stir for 1-2 minutes. Add pears, coating them with the sugar and margarine. Let the pears cook and soften while the sugar will start to caramelise. Stir in bananas. Pour mixture into a baking dish.
3. To make the crumble, rub the margarine into the flour or use a food processor, until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Stir in brown sugar, oats and milk until it turns lumpy. Stir in cashew nuts and chocolate.
4. Scoop crumble mixture over the pears and bananas evenly. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until lightly browned and crunchy on top.
5. Serve hot with ice cream or whipped cream, and caramel. Serves 6-8 persons.